Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Life You Crave




With my little dog, Ruby, wedged between me and the couch cushion, I've been reading this wonderful little book about discernment.  If you're like me, sometimes the strain of everyday living can drain the joy out of life.    I find myself wondering...how do I live my life with joy, energy, peace?  How do I live a God honoring life as a fallen human being in a fallen world? 

In this book, Jerusha Clark explains that in order to life the soul-satisfying life you crave, you need discernment.   She offers a broad overview of what it means to be discerning in multiple categories:   sorting through emotions, appreciating your body the way God created it, controlling sarcasm/gossip/etc, using your time and resources in a God-honoring way, finding your life calling, engaging in relationships both in and out of the church body.  Each chapter has insights that challenge you to evaluate your words, actions, and motives.  Each chapter ends with questions for discussion, thoughts for personal meditation, and prayer.  

Jerusha Clark's writing style is easy to read and lacks excessive jargon.  She draws from her personal experience as well as the bible and numerous other notable Christian writers.  Overall, I have enjoyed reading this book, and it has challenged me to evaluate many facets of my life.   I highly recommended if you are a young woman,.  This book is suitable for group discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment