Sunday, May 17, 2020

18. Home from the Sea - Mercedes Lackey



I checked this book out from the local library before the pandemic hit.  The cover looked pretty interesting, and I've enjoyed Mercedes Lackey's books before (her Joust series was AWESOME).  This one was not my favorite.   I should start with this is number 7 in the Elemental Masters series.  Perhaps, I would have enjoyed it better if I had  read the others first.

Mari lives with her father in a cottage by the sea.   Their fishing prospers and her father never seems to fear storms that have other fishermen too afraid to venture outside.  However, Daffyd has a secret: one that binds Mari to wed a man from the Selch clan.  The Selch are magical, shape-shifting creatures of the water.    Nan and Sarah suddenly show up (characters from the rest of the series I assume) to assist.   ...

I had a few issues with this book starting with the book didn't need Nan and Sarah.  The space would have been better spent developing character of Mari and family.    Also when Mari makes her choice of mate, why is this such a big deal to the clan chief?  The clan chiefs actions are just baffling.   Your clan needs to strengthen their line with the Prothero family....why anger them so much?  Also I thought there would be earth shatter peril - forces of darkness threatening to overtake or perhaps convert our new heroine.    Nope.    SPOILER ALERT so highlight to read it.... Mari's mother and brother were also a part of this bargain and supposedly a great wave swept them both to the Selch island.   When Mari shows up there, why don't they show up when she ventures there?  

Overall, I give this book a 2 on my rating system.   It was just ok.   Borrowing from the library is just fine.  I may or may not read more in this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment