Sunday, May 3, 2020

9. Creativity, Inc. - Ed Catmull


This book was great!   I thought a book about the formation of a company, Pixar, would be boring.    However, Pixar's work culture of creativity is so inspiring.    There are many principles that I am going to carry forward into my own work and creative endeavors. 

Fear of Failure.   I'm challenging myself to change my thinking about failure.   When I create a painting, I'm haunted by the question "Is this going to turn out?" but instead I want to focus on learning from mistakes.   Failure is necessary to art and creativity.  It isn't just a necessary evil...it is valuable.  Art is an iterative process. 

Candor.   When we have the freedom to tell the truth - even uncomfortable truths, creativity flourishes.    Conflict is a necessary and expected component of growth and creativity.  I am trying to be honest with myself and my own work, encourage my family (ie, my art critics) to be brutally honest with my paintings, and encourage candor at my work.

I think this one is a strong 4.  I think I want this one in my collection, but maybe I don't need it in both audio and visual formats.   I highly recommend this book for anyone who does art...and who is a leader at their work!

No comments:

Post a Comment