Wednesday, May 6, 2020

12. I'm Still Here



This is a fabulous book.   It was powerful and moving to step into someone else's life experience.   If you notice, the author is Austin Channing Brown.  Ms. Brown was deliberately named with a white male sounding name in order to give her a better chance at gaining interviews.  It's the first thing she talks about in her book and I was challenged by my narrow world view immediately.  If you think race is no longer an issue in today's America, I implore you to read this book.    I highly recommend listening to it on Audible narrated by the author's own voice because there's a power to hearing someone's story in their own voice.  I give this one a 3+.  While I only listened to the library's recorded version, I think this one is on my must read list.   I will note that it is somewhat of a challenging read as there are few suggestions on how to move forward.  My husband overheard parts and remarked that "She makes it sound so hopeless."  However, maybe that too can give the white reader a little empathy...racial reconciliation does feel hopeless, and this book doesn't hold back or sugar coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment