Saturday, May 9, 2020

13. Checklist Manifesto


In the Checklist Manifesto, Dr. Gawande highlight the benefits of a simple checklist.   He quotes studies performed in hospitals around the world that found checklists save lives in the medical setting.   I'm all over this concept.   There are checklists all over my house.     The human mind is fallible and as such needs as much help as it can get.  

When hospitals implemented a simple 6 item presurgical checklist:

“On average hospitals missed one of them in a starling two-thirds of patients, whether rich or poor.”  Results indicated:

  • Major complications fell by 36

  • Deaths fell by 47 percent

  • Infections fell by almost half

  • Of the study group of 4000 patients, 150 spared from harm expected based on previous results and 27 from death

  • “There was also a notable correlation between teamwork scores and results for patients - the greater the improvement in teamwork, the greater the drop in complications”

  • 78% actually observed the checklist to have prevented an error in the operating room


This book is a 4/5 on my scale.  I have the paper version and will be adding to "Dr. Darr's Wellness Library" for my veterinary students.  I highly recommend it for anyone who loves a good checklist and wants evidence to back it up!  I also recommend it for anyone in the medical field.  

No comments:

Post a Comment